Mr. Jain represents domestic and international technology and other clients in corporate, securities and commercial transactions. His practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions of private business entities; private securities transactions; choice, organization and governance of business entities; data transfer and privacy; and a wide range of business contracts that includes software development, licensing of intellectual properties, employment law issues, distribution and supply agreement, working capital and asset-based lending, commercial mortgage lending, leasing and conveyance of commercial real estate, international trade and trade financing, including complex letters of credit. Mr. Jain also regularly assists clients in cross-border transactions, especially between India and the United States.
In addition to assisting clients in corporate matters, Mr. Jain works with them and the firm’s litigation team for resolution of disputes. He has successfully represented clients in state and federal commercial litigations and arbitrations and in ICC arbitrations. He has also worked with U.S. corporations for dispute resolution in India.
Mr. Jain is a Life Fellow of the American Bar Foundation; a member of the Attorney Grievance Committee of New York, First Department; a member and Secretary of the Board of Directors of the Association of the Bar of the City of New York; Chair of Legal Practice, Ethics & Delivery of Legal Services Division of the American Bar Association International Section, Chair of ABA’s South Asia/ Oceania and India Committee, and Vice-Chair of ABA’s ePrivacy Committee. He was recently appointed as co-chair of ABA International Annual Conference scheduled for April 2022. On a more private level, Mr. Jain is Honorary Trustee of International Mahavira Jain Mission (Siddhachalam), a nonprofit, and its former President and Vice-Chairman.
Mr. Jain is a frequent speaker at business and law conferences in the U.S. and abroad and has chaired several continuing legal education programs for the New York City Bar.
Publications and Presentations
- Privacy Law Developments in Trump’s 150 days, Law360 Expert Analysis, June 23, 2017
- AI, Law and Privacy, IAPP Bangalore, March 2017
- Special Leave Petition before the Supreme Court of India, admitted Feb. 2016
- M&A Trends in the United States, ABA-SILF India Conference, Feb. 2016
- Conflict of Laws in Data Protection, ITechlaw International Conference, Bangalore, India, Jan. 2016.
- Real Estate Investment Vehicles in the U.S., Inter-Pacific Bar Association Annual Conference, Vancouver, Canada, 2014
- India- Legal Framework and Practice Pointers, New York City Bar CLE, March 28, 2014
- Foreign IT Companies Under Tax Scrutiny After Infosys Settlement, New York Law Journal, January 22, 2014
- Personal Goodwill: A Rare Relief for Some, New York Law Journal, December 16, 2013
- Doing Business in India, New York City Bar, one-day CLE (Chair), 2013
- Islam and Politics in India, New York City Bar, 2012
- India – Remarks on a Story of Hope and Despair, New York City Bar, 2012
- Investment in Dynamic Economies in Challenging Times, Inter-Pacific Bar Association 22nd Annual Conference, New Delhi, 2012
- Legal Issues in Starting a Business in the United States, Singapore, 2011
- Climate Change Initiative, New York City Bar, 2010
- India Shuts Out Foreign Law Firms, New York Law Journal, April 1, 2010
- Leaving Intellectual Property Rights on the Table, ITechlaw Asian Conference, Mumbai, 2008
- Working With Lawyers from U.S. and India, Center for American and International Law, Plano, TX 2008
- Liberalization of India’s Legal Services Sector, NASABA, San Francisco, 2007
- Mergers, Acquisitions and Other Contracts in the United States, Asian Legal Business Conference, Shanghai, 2006
- Jaipat’s India Briefing, New York City Bar, various issues: October 2005, November 2005, December 2005, February 2006, June 2006
- Outsourcing – Legal Concerns of US Clients, Mumbai, 2005
- Keynote Address, Sixth International Conference on Legal Reforms in Infrastructure, Confederation of Indian Industry, New Delhi, 2005
- Anatomy of an American Contract, Asian Legal Business Conference, New Delhi, 2005